Saturday, February 28, 2009

More. Again.

He picks her up and swings her over his shoulder to squeals of delight. As soon as her little feet resume contact with the sidewalk, she’s begging, “Do that again!” A few more generous impressions of an amusement park ride and he’s done, but she wants more. “Again!” And then she jumps on his back for a piggy-back ride. One way or another, she’ll try to get what she wants: more.

And while I stand a few paces off, judging her for her rude demands, I begin to see my reflection. How often do I take advantage of a good gift, and expect it to be repeated? Demand it? I am tempted to do that with God all the time. Life is going so graciously great, and then I expect to continue to be lavished with an easy way and good things. I am quickly spoiled.

I’m trying to cultivate a heart of gratitude, where each bit of notice, each amazing moment and awesome experience, and each little gift means the world to me, because I don’t deserve any of it, and one may never come again. A heart of gratitude speaks its thanks.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

Hey Lisa,

You might be interested in my last two movie reviews on my blog.

God bless!

Spencer

åslaug abigail said...

I NEEDED to read this.
Praise God for all His gifts =)
åslaug