Saturday, January 16, 2010

Alfredo

It so happens that one of the new tastes I have acquired is pasta alfredo. I didn't even know what it was when I tried it. Turns out, my parmesan fondue is quite similar. Here is what I do:

I go to the grocery store and buy the cheapest penne pasta, one pound. Then I find the cheapest jar of garlic alfredo sauce (I will use about half). And chicken breasts are good with the pasta. In case I am up for being healthy I add peas (which, to my surprise, are SWEET!) and asparagus.

If I have an apron close by, I put it on, especially if it matches my outfit.

Then I boil a pot of water and add the pasta. Boil uncovered for about 15 minutes, 'cause I like it a little soft. Add peas for the last few minutes. Meanwhile grill some chicken breast on our George Foreman machine. Also trim bottom ends off of asparagus and roast on a cookie sheet in a single layer in the oven with butter. Cook at 400 degrees until bright green and mostly tender.
Drain the pasta & peas. Slice chicken into 1" strips. Cut the asparagus into fourths. Heat alfredo sauce in a saucepan or the microwave (one serving in my microwave for 40 seconds power level 6). One serving is about 4 Tablespoons. Put this amount in a single-serve bowl. Add the pasta, one chicken breast, and the equivalent of 6 asparagus spears. Sprinkle with garlic and herb seasoning. Eat with fork. It's good. Then praise God for the provision of good food.

Ideally you would hug the bowl and curl up on a couch while listening to some good music, like Josh Groban. And you would be wearing a cozy turtleneck. Making and eating alfredo with friends is also very fun. I tried it with sparkling apple juice, and that was good.

If I were smart I would have taken a picture to show you. Maybe next time.

To God be all glory.

No comments: