Friday, July 16, 2010

Yes and Amen

II Corinthians 1:20
“For all the promises of God
in Him are YES,
and in Him AMEN,
to the glory of God through us.”

You don't hear it as much as you'd expect in Christian circles.  Should it stand out so much to me when I hear a friend say, "Praise God"?  The praise and worship music movement has swept the Church up.  Some of us even mean what we sing.  But outside of the songs, do we magnify His name?  Do we let our light shine that men may glorify our Father in Heaven when they see our good works?  Can we say with the Psalmists that it is good for God to have us alive because we praise Him more than if we were dead?  

Grant that our friends practice gratitude.  We're praying people and watch for answers.  When we see good gifts, we know they are from God.  And so it is more common to say aloud, "Praise God.  He answered my prayer."  

But we only tend to say that when He answers with a "yes."  If God gives us what we want, we praise Him.  If not...

There are any number of reactions I have observed in myself.  I may become discouraged.  I might complain.  Even a good Christian is tempted to "help themselves" when God doesn't take the initiative we want Him to.  

This year, I resolved to praise my good God.  When He says "yes" to my requests, and when He says "no."  He is acting with wisdom and love either way.  

So even when I am hurt or sad or tired because of God's "no", I will praise Him.  Praise Him for knowing better than I do.  For denying my making of mudpies (to refer to CS Lewis) that He may bring me to the sea.  

And in acknowledging God's worthiness, may I know Him more.  May I anticipate and accept suffering, not cheating it of its purpose nor denying its redemption.  May I see with His eyes and expect the unfathomable ocean of blessings He has prepared.  He is a God of completion, faithful to make perfect that which He begins.  

To God be all glory.

No comments: