Sunday, February 07, 2016

Chocolate Cream Cheese Custard Recipe

I am not very good at baking cheesecakes.  The first ones I ever made were no-bake, involving whipped topping and no eggs.  But I am avoiding whipped topping, so I've been trying my hand at baking.  But it is a lot of work, and the cake tends to crack or brown on the top edges.  
So I had an idea, for a stiff cream-cheese flavored chocolate dessert/dip.  I did online searches for recipes for anything like it, and couldn't find any; apparently people don't usually add cream cheese to their custards.  I was on my own inventing this dish, then.  With this recipe, you're getting the eggs (like traditional cheesecake) to add flavor and stiffness, but cooking them on the stovetop (in milk or cream like custard) instead of in the oven.  I think it turned out great!  

In medium saucepan, heat to a simmer:
1 1/2 c. evaporated milk (or a large can)

Stir in until melted, and remove from heat:
½ c. dark chocolate chips
Beat until pale:
3 egg yolks
⅓ c. sugar

Slowly pour warm milk mixture into eggs, whisking constantly.  Return to MED-LOW heat. 

Mix in:
(another) ½ c. dark chocolate chips
2 t. corn starch

Simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes. 

Separately, beat:
2 package cream cheese (16 ounces total)
⅓ c. sugar
dash of salt

Pour custard into sweetened cream cheese and mix well.  Chill at least 4 hours. 
Eat plain or dip graham crackers, strawberries, pretzels, or chocolate chip cookies. 
May also be frozen like ice cream.  

To God be all glory.

No comments: