Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Thoughts about Patriarchy

 I believe God is male.


I believe Adam, the first man, had a special position of responsibility toward and representation of the rest of humanity.


I believe women are made in God's image and have equal inherent value to that of men.


I believe men and women are together called to exercise dominion together. (Two togethers in that sentence on purpose.)


I believe God gave special responsibility, authority, and representation within their family to husbands/fathers.


I believe humans are created to submit.


I believe when someone in a position of submission does not submit, it is a responsibility of the authority to work to get things in proper order, by using instruction, persuasion, prayer, example, or discipline.


I believe when someone in authority is abusing that authority, they will answer to other authorities - ultimately, God.


I believe it can be right and good for a person in a position of submission to appeal the decisions of the authority in a respectful way. And that they can lovingly express concern over the sin of an authority.


I believe God sometimes patiently endures people not submitting to His instructions. He endures authorities leading wickedly. There will be judgment. There are also consequences.


I believe it is right to disobey the commands of any authority which directly contradict the revealed commands of God (or, when hierarchies are in place, of any higher authority).


I believe it is wrong to rebel against authorities who are sinful, abusive, or less than perfect (except in the specific circumstances of specific commands contradicting those of higher authorities). I believe it is wrong for those in submission to overthrow their authority, but not wrong necessarily to pray for it.


I believe in households on a mission together, headed by the father/husband.


I believe in mutual benefits and obligations of fathers/husbands (or landowners/tenants) in the hierarchical arrangements. The works of managing, overseeing, leading, representing, arbitrating are no small work.


I believe in generally observable differences in strengths and inclinations between men and women. And I believe the different things each offers are valuable.


Good men serve by leading.


I believe fathers and mothers both have responsibilities to spend time bringing up their children.


I believe a marriage starts a new household.


I believe people were created to live in households, and independence is a tragedy.


I believe it is possible to contribute to the mission(s) of redeemed humanity without being married or having children. And not all parents or married people do a good job contributing.


I believe men and women are more than their bodies.


I believe it is a significant clue to how we should live, that we have bodies.


I believe husbands and wives owe each other sex and have authority over each other's bodies in this area.


I believe wise men will often but not always solicit the input of their wives (hopefully they were discipled to choose wise wives), without abdicating the burden of their leadership.


I believe it is not sinful for a woman to work for another family's household or industry, though this may not be ideal.


I believe a husband has the authority to nullify his wife's vow.


I believe Jesus sets a good example of headship.


I believe there are limits to the analogy between the marriage relationship and that of Christ and His Church.


I believe there are some church activities wherein the expectations for men and women are different.


I believe Paul's practice of not permitting a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man in church activities is prescriptive for Jesus' Church in all ages.


I believe hierarchy in the family preceded the Fall.


I believe God can and does gift some women as prophets, as well as men.


I believe leadership and oversight can be exercised, and obedience can be due to, authorities who are not the head. For example: mothers and church elders.


I believe the only true head of any church is Jesus.


To God be all glory. 





No comments: