Monday, June 23, 2008

One More Note on Miss Austen Regrets

My favorite part of the movie was when a friend, a married woman came up to Jane and told her that many women needed the encouragement that Jane Austen's books offered. Their love wasn't perfectly romantic anymore, but they could read books. (Lisa insert: maybe the books inspired the women to have a balanced view of love and marriage, or a value and lightheartedness for the friends and family and husbands and wives that they had.) The woman went on to say that God had given Jane Austen her gift for writing so that she could be such an important encouragement in the world - even if it meant that Jane couldn't be married. That way she could still impart her gifts to the world. Jane's life had meaning and purpose.

With all the happily ever afters we all love in Jane Austen's novels, it is encouraging for single girls to occasionally hear a story where the girl doesn't end up with the handsome prince, but her life was still good and worth something. Don't worry; I know my life means something. It is just nice to hear the stories, to see an unmarried life in a romanticist-inspired light.

To God be all glory.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Hey, Stranger! You should plan a trip up to see your aunt and come see me too! Or, just plan a trip to see me, but I'm not so bold as to suggest you'd want to drive all this way just to visit me. ;) This little town is ADORABLE and we've found lots of cute little hangouts, also an absolutely fabulous antique store. It's weird that we never talked after you came over. Either we didn't like eachother, or we've been busy. Hopefully "B". :o)

RMyers said...

Good thoughts!

Blessings!

fourmyers.blogspot.com

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Lacey,
Definitely busy. I was going to offer to help you move until I figured out that I was out of town around then. I would love to see your town and your hang-outs. After we hung out all day, I was thinking about what you'd said and what we'd done for weeks. Still check in sometimes. Can't wait to hang out again.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Thank you for commenting, rmeyers. I love the photos on your blog!
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn