Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Security

I love chocolate. I need it. Even if I don’t need to eat it, I need to be able to plan to eat it, to dream of tasting it. And I need it as back-up in case my little heart needs some consolation.

There is something amazingly sentimental about finishing off a carton of chocolate ice cream, or a giant candy bar. I’m almost sad scooping out the last remaining bites. Worse than sad is that feeling of desperation that follows when I empty the freezer of chocolate ice cream. To have a spare half gallon is security for whatever disaster may come. The insecurity is overwhelming when there is no ice cream in the house. I will usually restock during my very next trip out of the house.

And in life I like to be that way. I hold out for the back-up, able to stay calm without guarantees as long as I know there is something.

A small whisper says this may not be the best thing about myself. Even louder is the suggestion that denying myself in the example might teach myself for life.

To God be all glory.

1 comment:

Pom Pom said...

Hello! I just found your blog! I can relate to the chocolate loving. The Lord is so evident and I'm convinced HE does sweet things like put ideas in His followers' heads at the same time! If you go to http://aparsonswife.blogspot.com/
you will see sweet Andrea's post about chocolate, too. This happens all the time and it reminds me that our sweet Lord and Savior adores us and pays attention to us! Anyway, I'll visit again. We live in Colorado, too!