Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Slow Going?

“Hello down there! Slow going?” – Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride

Slow going down here in the blog world. I have two book reviews to post, and a blog written up about laughter, even one about football.

“This is not as easy as it looks.” – Man in Black, Princess Bride

My blog is published on two different host sites: Blogger and Wordpress – neither of which have been cooperative recently. Blame might be shared by my own laptop and internet provider, as well. And when I have been on my computer, late into the nights and early mornings, my work has been directed towards by business, the one linked on the sidebar here but rarely mentioned. It has a new name, new look, and even some new products coming just as soon as I can get the pictures taken.

“I don’t suppose you could speed things up?” – Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride

Three years ago I started this business, hoping to learn a lot about business and accounting without going to school, needing something to do with the extra money I had lying around, and of course wishing to earn enough income to stay home full time. Self-discipline is something I can do, but only with encouragement. And sometimes, when things are just too hard, I actually need help.

Large Mi-Re-Do Business Card

“Throw me the rope.” – Man in Black, Princess Bride

Some of my good friends have been encouraging me lately. They also have their own business. We had a long talk about believing in our products, about wanting to make sure that we’re not selling junk, but to be willing to settle for marketing goods and services that won’t revolutionize the world. My brother asked me why I think people should have what I’m selling. Questions like that make me think, and usually when I think, I get answers, which turn into the blurb about each item that appears on my website.

Assistance has come in concrete ways, too. Several of my friends have advertised for me and referred acquaintances to my business. The friends above are going to print my government-regulation-required care and contents tags. And my brother even offered to help with some HTML for my webpage.

“I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?" – Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride

One of the other goals for my business is to build relationships with customers (thereby changing the world – I just can’t escape that motive!). Sometimes all it takes is opening the conversation, however unexpected or odd.

“I’m not left-handed either.” – Man in Black, Princess Bride

Running a business is a risk. Putting my creativity out in the world for judgment is scary. I could lose money. I could waste time. But there is power in the unexpected. That’s what I’m trying to offer on my website. For sale is an eclectic supply of handmade and home-designed accessories that are unlike anything the rest of the marketplace has to offer. Some taglines I’m using or toying with are: “Mi~Re~Do: Reviving Declining Melodies” and “Buy Mi~Re~Do. Tilt your perspective.” By thinking through the practical and aesthetic worth of my products, I’m trying to change the way my customers think about – and live – ordinary life.

“Get used to disappointment.” – Man in Black, Princess Bride

Still, it’s been three years, and though I’ve sold several items on Ebay, and ventured into Etsy, I have almost zero client base. I have designed several business cards, and been too timid to hand them out. Marketing is nonexistent. And my room is overrun with unsold inventory.

“I’d just as soon destroy a stained-glass window as an artist like yourself…” – Man in Black, Princess Bride

Artists and dreamers cannot be kept down. We will keep creating, used to our disappointments but pushing forward anyway. Companies will succeed because they persevere where others failed, and offer goods that others don’t. When Buttercup cried, “We’ll never survive!” on the margins of the fireswamp, Westley the eminent business coach countered, “Nonsense! You only say that because no one ever has.”

To God be all glory.

No comments: