Saturday, December 09, 2006

Changing Church Part IX


Will’s car was heard in the driveway. The committee exited the library and filed into the living room, where they sat in a most imposing circle. Anne opened the door to welcome her husband. He squeezed her hand and kissed her forehead before looking up at his guests. “Good evening,” he nodded respectfully. Anne took his things to the bedroom. In a minute she returned with his Bible. She placed it deliberately in the center of the visitors, on the coffee table.

“Before you ask any questions, I’d like to ask one. What is the specific accusation that brings you here?” Will clasped his hands calmly in his lap.

“A deacon called the association to claim that you were becoming a dictator over your congregation. His words were ‘one-manning it’,” the head of the committee answered.

“Thank you. We will be happy to answer any of your questions.”

The same man looked out the window. He asked, in a nervous way, “What started all this?”

To their surprise, Anne began the explanation. “Will and I have always been people who think. Our greatest struggle is to keep from judging, and our greatest challenge to effect a change when we identify a problem. But over the years we’ve identified more and more things wrong with our culture and the American church. It is very discouraging. Things like divorce, or the rate at which kids leave the church after high school. Theological trends, too, like ‘seeker sensitive’ churches and the acceptance of women in church leadership.”

Will continued. “Once we were married, we discussed all these things. And our number one object, what we believe is our calling, is to take a stand against these things.

“We are both Christians who have a stubborn reliance on the Bible alone for our doctrine and practices. This has been a personal commitment for us. But it suddenly occurred to us that we should look to the Bible to solve these problems in the church as well.”

“Yes,” Anne said. “It became clear that many of these symptoms were connected. We learned as we looked at them and as we began searching the Bible for references to them that they are just symptoms of a culture’s unwillingness to accept God’s plan. People who give high amounts of time and respect to the Bible have more successful ministries.”

To God be all glory.

See index for first and additional chapters.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lady of Longbourn, I am enjoying your story. I believe you have a gift for story writing.
I wonder about your pastor character and his wife. Isn;t it better to stand FOR something rather than a mission to stand against something?

The Warrior said...

*waits for more*

Anonymous said...

Lady of Longbourn, I am enjoying your story. I believe you have a talent for writing stories. Do you think there is any validity to the criticism of Will "one-manning" it?

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Believer,
I'm not sure what you mean about standing FOR something. Whether I believe Will was right or not will hopefully be made clearer in the following "chapters."

Once I read a book in which I objected to the way the main characters handled themselves sometimes, but in the end I realized that the authors agreed with me, but were making a point. I'm not usually so subtle. = )

Thank you for reading.

And yes, Dr. Paleo, we know you're waiting for more.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Believer,
In rereading my post I get the standing reference. You are probably right. Perhaps calling was not a great word. The vision I had was one of being the person for such a time as this to stem - or turn - the tide.

Personally I believe that a Christians reason for being is to glorify God, to know Him, and to preach the gospel. In the story, I hope that the characters' stand is ultimately lived out FOR a literal interpretation and accurate application of the Bible.

Thank you for your insight.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Thanks for your reply. You understood completely what I was getting at. And I agree completely with you about a Christian's reason for being.