Friday, April 22, 2011

Jesus Gave Thanks

“Thank you, Jesus, for this food. Amen.”  - the prayer children have offered in my house before meals for as long as I can remember

We bless our food with a tiny word of thanks. 

Before we share in the Lord’s supper in most churches, thanks is made to the Father who gave Only Son. 

Thanks is in the story Paul tells of the Lord’s supper. 

The Lord Jesus
On the same night in which He was BETRAYED
Took bread and when He had
GIVEN THANKS
He broke it…

Was Jesus simply giving a token prayer before eating?  In the middle of the feast? 

I’m ashamed to confess that I never believed Jesus was sincere.  He said ‘thanks,’ because He couldn’t eat until He’d done so…  Except that I don’t actually believe that.  So what was He thankful for?  Was He only saying “thank you” for the next bite?  For a feast He had fervently desired to eat with His disciples before He suffered?  For the suffering? 

Again, I have doubted Jesus’ sincerity, when He said “Not My will, but Yours be done.”  He meant it, surely.  As a declaration of submission.  That’s what I thought.  But in truth, it’s a prayer, not a declaration.  He’s been begging His Father.  And the begging doesn’t stop when it changes.  He begs for God’s will to be done.  Wants it.  Receives the will of the Father with joy, maybe as joy. 

“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.” James 1:2 (NLT)

Such were my thoughts when this morning, day after the traditional anniversary of the Last Supper, I picked up Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts after a long pause.  Half a chapter had been waiting for me to find solitude in which to hear it.  God saved it up for me for this day, I believe.  She writes… 

“Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy’s fire.  Leave the hand open and be.  Be at peace.  Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper surprised thanks…  I hadn’t known that joy meant dying.  What did I think hard eucharisteo and the table of the Last Supper meant?  …follow Christ to the table of eucharisteo, the table of surrender that gives thanks for what is given – this is joy!”

Who gave thanks?  Who was doing the giving?  What did the giving cost?  What did the Giver do?  He is the one who gave thanks. 

Not token.  Not insincere.  Grateful.  Trusting.  Joyful.  Sorrowful, too. 

To God be all glory. 

No comments: