Saturday, November 17, 2007

Day Off from God, Ministry, and Love

Do you ever have the problem where you finally get inspired or convicted to do something, and you have other commitments? Even in little areas, like last night I'm inspired to worship, but it's like 11 PM and I had an early morning? Or I finally get a break to call and just set up a time to discuss some things with my pastor, and I realize the weekend is here; it's my pastor's "day off,"...

Wait! Why on earth, thought I, do pastors have days off? Why do they want them? I don't want a day where I don't get to do the ministry God called me to, or where my friends don't call me if they're in need. I don't want to be ever inaccessible to my Christian friends.

Now, I'm not saying this in judgment of my pastor, because I'm projecting an unwillingness to disturb him onto him. I have not been told not to call or email him on "days off." But I have experienced church leaders and staff who felt annoyed when their co-heirs with Christ asked them about co-labors on a day when they weren't scheduled, or on Sunday morning, at church. Is our view of the purpose of gathering so distorted that we really think Sundays are all about getting fed? Sitting in a chair and hearing music and a lecture? I know that Mary chose the better thing (believe me, I relate to her!) than Martha, but doesn't God want us to be at His service, ready whenever He calls? Is this about loving each other, or isn't it?

And, as is a good practice when such thoughts carry me away, I consider: How does this apply to me? In what ways am I too busy with my scheduled ministry or my expectations for a day to be sensitive to what God wants me to do? Why, just last night after a Bible study I looked around and wondered who I wanted to talk to, and why didn't anyone talk to me? Only afterward did I realize that I had been self-focused, not seeking opportunities to be a blessing to the new friends around me.

Thankfully, God has been pointing these things out to me more frequently. My prayer is that God would take away the self-thoughts and unkindness that sneaks into my life from out of the blue. I need to be more diligent in that prayer.

To God be all glory.

No comments: