Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Soap

I was at the dollar store the other day.  Some things at the dollar store are great deals.  Ceramic plates and glass cups for only a dollar when anywhere else they’d be three or five.  Other items are a bit scary.  Their soaps and lotions and cleaners tend to be of lower quality.  Lotion that is greasy and dries out skin.  Cleaners that don’t actually clean.  Soaps that smell funny. 

But on this trip I found some soaps made by Yardley of London.  I looked down and saw the Lavender scent.  I sniffed it, though I’m not a fan of lavender.  Next to it was a stack of bars scented of almond and honey.  When I put that to my nose, it brought back memories of Grandpa and Grandma’s little house in Kansas.  They may have used the same brand of classic soap all the years I was growing up. 

Grandpa and Grandma just moved this last year out of their house – my haven of familiarity and stability.  I miss them and I miss their home.  So I bought a bar of the memory-soap and put it in our bathroom at home.  (I have no idea whether one dollar is a good price for a bar of soap!) 

That very night I was out shopping again.  The thrift store called to me this time.  (All these shopping adventures – and there were many more, were for a wedding this past weekend in which I was a bridesmaid.  So I was working on a gift and on decorations and preparations, all sorts of last minute needs.  Followed this week by a stack of returns to make.)  I looked up and lo, there was a box full of Yardley of London lavender soap hanging from a hook.  Can you believe it? 

To God be all glory. 

No comments: