Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Influenza

So the flu is spread by coughing: germs fly out of your mouth and into the air other people are breathing. Coughing, then, is a symptom of the flu. If you have the flu, you are contagious one day before and five days after symptoms start. Anyone else notice the irony?

I'm pretty sure I've had influenza for three weeks, a minor case, I'd say, as I've still been able to work and do other things most days. However, all my optional activities like shopping or meeting with friends have been replaced with sleep. Also I'm not thinking all that clearly, so reading heavy articles like CS Hayden's most recent couple, YLCF's blogs on being single, or LAF's recently updated articles has been low on my priority list. I'm taking things in bite size pieces.

That includes chocolate, which I firmly believe aids in the cure of almost all illnesses. Besides having anti-oxidant and cough-supressant properties, chocolate tastes good and makes me feel better. *laughter* When I called the doctor after two and a half weeks sick, he said depression can cause these symptoms at this time of year, and was I depressed. Though I told him truly no, I had to laugh. Who wouldn't be a little down after being exhausted and semi-feverish for over two weeks?

Giving just credit to the medical profession, my doctor did inform me (when I saw him, before he stuck me with needles) that the flu can also be spread by breathing close to someone, like whispering, which explains the spread before symptoms, providing you're close to people.

More irony, though: in recent years a few antiviral medications have become available to limit the strength and duration of the flu. They are only effective if you take them beginning the first two or three days of illness. A doctor must give them to you, I believe. I didn't have any clue what I had the first couple days. I thought I was just tired. Who goes to the doctor after even two days of fever?

Another option is that I could have tuberculosis instead. I'm happier with the flu, though it should be over by now. Maybe if I had rested rather than keeping up appearances of feeling well? Don't worry; I probably don't have tuberculosis. I find out tomorrow. That is what the needles were for. I don't have pneumonia; that is what the x-rays were for.

I am clearly sick. I just ended two sentences with prepositions and don't feel like fixing them.

One thing I have enjoyed reading while sick is Crystal's blog. A post I found especially helpful was her answer to how she manages through the fatigue and morning sickness of pregnancy. Highlight:
Most importantly, I try to start my day with Bible reading and prayer and then to meditate on Scripture throughout the day. I must rely on God's strength right now, or I do not have a lot of my own.

I read that and thought, "Oh yeah; I knew there was something that would help." Depending on God shouldn't be something you need to be reminded when you feel like I do: proves how my spiritual life has been the past few months - perhaps a little too self-reliant in the little I-can-handle-this things?

Weakness is good. At least it's true. Michael Card sings: "When we in our weakness thought we were strong, He became helpless to show we were wrong." God's "helplessness" was stronger than our "strength." And Paul confessed, "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

Lisa of Longbourn said...

I'm clear. The injection spot on my arm is smooth so I don't have Tuberculosis. Great news, huh?

Can you get the common cold right after the flu?

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

PS: Chocolate makes the world go round.

Anonymous said...

Ta-da! (a comment =))

How could one be depressed when one is well supplied with chocolate? What a silly question for the doctor to ask...

I'm glad you're beginning to feel better again. It's been a while!