Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mac and PC

My dad is a computer tech... I don't know the right word. In the seventies he taught himself those strange, too-long computer languages, and despite having two degrees in other fields, has worked most of his life with computers. The computers he likes (most days) and fixes, and with which he works are PC's. I'm with him: for real business stuff PC's are the way to go. Mac's are sort of fluff and games.

The world is changing. Mac's have noticed PC's great advantage and adapted. What's more, with the rise of the internet and YouTube, Blogger, and other bubbly programs (argh! Mac's are frustratingly bubbly!), people are taking control of the arts from their home computers, and for things like that, Mac's are pretty nice.

Regardless of which brand is or will continue to be the better computer, I have to give credit to the advertising genius of Apple. Extremely inexpensive, two men stand in a white room and chat. One is named PC, wearing a stiff suit and looking a bit flabby. The other, Mac, is in a hoody and t-shirt, jeans. He moves. He jokes. They're friends, though. Only both of them join together to show the good side of Mac and the bad side of PC's. Funny. Effective. Inexpensive. Genius.

One more thing: there are lots of these commercials. You don't have to watch the same, admittedly clever, 30-second clip every night for three months. The story continues. We see new angles. This was something I liked about Geico, too. There were lots of different gecko commercials. In our house, at least, we would yell at each other: "The new Geico commercial I was telling you about is on!"

To conclude, I laugh at the Mac/PC commercials, and I could watch the Geico reel all day. What about you?

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. :)
-
'No I'm a GECKO you want Geico!'
I agree those were great commercials. Now they have the 'Caveman' ones on. Have you seen those?

Lisa of Longbourn said...

I don't like the Caveman commercials. Between the evolutionary implications and the similarities to Planet of the Apes (oooh, bad experience), I just shudder when they come on.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn