Monday, March 10, 2008

Kidnapped

In lieu of Jane Austen Season (PBS decided to interrupt it in order to raise funds), I watched an episode of Masterpiece’s Kidnapped last night. Kidnapped is the classic by Robert Louis Stevenson, author of the more popular Treasure Island. Set in Scotland, the movie features some nice music and wonderful scenery. Acting is touch and go, but the dialogue, which I assume is mostly taken straight from Stevenson, is excellent.

I caught a touch of an exploration of pacifism in the story. I don’t know about you, but if you’re like me (I should preface all of my opinions like that; I’m so constantly being told that not everyone is like me) you think better in the context of a story. So if you are interested, see the DVD, or tune in for subsequent episodes in future weeks.

By the way, the movie stars at least one recurring actors from other Masterpiece (BBC) movies, the actor who played Mr. Preston in Wives and Daughters, Iain Glen. His role in Kidnapped as the bold Alan Beck sets him in a stronger, more favorable light than the "terrible flirt" Mr. Preston. The beard helps too.

My only other exposure to Kidnapped is the black and white 1960 version with James MacArthur. I was delighted to hear the actor from Swiss Family Robinson and Hawaii 5-0 (Book 'im, Danno) use a Scottish accent. The book, however, is on my list of must-reads, being set in a romantic Scottish period. With any luck Robert Louis Stevenson will have written in the Scottish pronunciation like JM Barrie did in The Little Minister.

To God be all glory.

No comments: