Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Reading GK Chesterton on the Family

I couldn't have said it better myself:

I've been reading GK Chesterton today. This is only a sample. Read the full essays.

"There is only one way to preserve in the world that high levity and that more leisurely outlook which fulfils the old vision of universalism. That is, to permit the existence of a partly protected half of humanity; a half which the harassing industrial demand troubles indeed, but only troubles indirectly. In other words, there must be in every center of humanity one human being upon a larger plan; one who does not "give her best," but gives her all." - The Emancipation of Domesticity by G.K. Chesterton

Read Chapter IX of All I Survey: On Dependence and Independence. "Thus, in the present case, we could at least settle down to discussing serious the Independence of Woman, if it were regarded by anybody as part of a real philosophy of the Independence of Man. What we find, as in the case mentioned, is that one woman has made one claim to one curious and rather capricious form of independence. She is independent of the breadwinner, but not of the bank or the employer - not to mention the moneylender."

To God be all glory.

4 comments:

Kevin Schaub said...

Hey Lisa/blogger extraordinaire :: you are going to take the second Church history quiz, right?!

Lisa of Longbourn said...

The blogger extraordinaire has a busy life. But it's slowing down a little bit. Already took the test 'cold turkey', but didn't do well, of course (no time to listen to church history courses online, I'm afraid). So now I'm in the middle of a multi-day process of looking for answers online. I might grab my old history book, too. These are hard!

Oh! One I missed on the first quiz was Martin Luther; I thought that answer was too easy.

In case anyone else is reading this, ElectExiles.wordpress.com, besides occupying their blog capacity with a massive surge of in-depth articles, is holding a contest based on a three-part church history quiz. The prize is a book.

I'm a quiz-addict, and don't even really care about the prize so much. But it's nice.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Uh, nevermind some mindless hours of Jetpack while watching Sense and Sensibility. I guess I'll be studying theological debates from centuries ago.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Spoiler alert for Elect Exiles Church History Quiz!

First, again, I went Cold Turkey, and missed 13 (not counting 11, see below). So my score is 55.

Ok, so I took the quiz the "easy" way which was much harder than guessing and putting question marks cold turkey. My score was 60 pts, but I strongly challenge question 11. The Athanasian Creed, from all I can find online, was not written at the Nicene Council. (So I'd say my score is 65.) #17 is ambiguous, but as a last resort I said what seems most logical to me, and got it right. Liberal theologians deny a lot of things. My brother said liberals deny "hell."

Kevin, #1 says that the answer is a person. I don't think Luther nailed any person to the doors of the church.

I'm so jealous of Paul (who went without Google or books and missed like four out of 18). I spent hours. Oh well. I think I learned stuff.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn