Friday, August 18, 2006

Persuasion

Fanny Austen-Knight (1793-1882) by Cassandra Austen
Fanny Austen-Knight (1793-1882)

Yesterday I watched The Lake House with my mom and a friend. While I may post about that 'magical' experience later, I wanted to talk about a book it mentioned.

Persuasion. The mature book by Jane Austen. In it her characters are not petty, are not silly, are not really that flirtatious. They have real ideals to test against real life, and conflicting emotions just like the rest of us. And though the characters' waiting is mostly done before the first page opens, the story is a long one, real in its patience.

I love Persuasion. When I first read it, I thought it was Jane Austen's best book. Then I began to think of her other books. Though I wouldn't say they are better than Persuasion, each is so different that I can't pick. The thing about Persuasion is that out of the best books she wrote, it has one of the worst film adaptations. I'm waiting for Andrew Davies to do a screenplay for this excellent novel, make a mini-series five hours long, and satisfy my craving to see the touching story brought to life.

If you haven't read Persuasion, and especially if you're a maiden in waiting like me, you should read it. It won't take very long, because it is both short and riveting. Some parts you will read again. I promise. The heroine had so much to teach me about life while waiting. Anne Elliot kept serving others and minding her principles, reading and conversing, and keeping her household together. She's an incredible heroine.

I, on the other hand, not having had as much practice as she, am not quite so good at those things. But it is certainly my aim. = )

A campaign for a good film adaptation of this book is on my mind, but I am not sure how to go about it. In the mean time I will settle for campaigning that you simply read the story for yourself. Oh, and tell me what you think!

To God be all glory.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Hm, I need to read this one! I'm more of a screen fan of Austen, and must agree that Persuasion is my least favorite adaptation.