Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Scattered Thoughts Remembered

Being the sometimes slow but steadily active person I am, I was bemoaning to myself the lack of blog activity in the world. You'd think with a holiday break people would have time for more important things than family, church, and candy, like blogging. That was before I realized that I have myself been involved in those truly important activities. Catching up is very hard to do when there is a week for everyone to get together, parties, gifts, and blizzards. The blizzard really messed me up!

So I thought I'd hop on over here to Blogger to tell you all about what I've been thinking. Ok, not everything. My friends were all worried there for a minute, knowing how I can go on and on. I mean, look at this introduction to a post.

During the snowstorm I discussed communion/Lord's supper with a friend. Hail YLCF for putting a post about that very subject online this week.

Amy did an after-Christmas post on kids and packaging. She's still funny.

My brother is wrestling with a response to a presentation one of his classmates gave in school arguing for abortion. How do you kindly say that abortion is wrong? I was trying to help by discussing the points with him. Then I played Mark Schultz's new song, Everything To Me.

Why do doctors bother to treat kids dying of cancer? Please don't get me wrong. I'm just exploring the motivations of these selfless people, not telling them to stop. Then again, what is the difference between treating those whom you know are dying and anyone else? Our responsibility to fellow men is the same: love them and preach the gospel to them.

How do you connect large families, the stock market, divorce, abortion, social security, and debt all into the same conversation? Think about it for a while. I'm sure you'll see connections.

I don't want to own a dog. They're so hard to entertain and tend. (I used tend because, uh, I didn't want to end a sentence with a preposition: care for.)

Next year I'm going to remove all internet items from my Christmas list. The last several years I've had to wait for gifts to arrive after Christmas (because our family doesn't even draw names until two weeks before Christmas), and I'm ready to open actual objects under the tree. Nevertheless, my sister (who drew my name) is a genius for wrapping pieces of paper. Really!

If there were no editors deciding which items should be front page news, would the world be worse off?

How should I go about sculpting a business that encourages people to age gracefully and beautifully? What things do elderly people with a commitment to biblical lifestyles need? What about a "write your own memoirs" kit? I myself write an autobiography every two years or so. They're always different, with different emphases.

Finally, I am thinking about a word: deliberate. Take off de- and you get "liberate." De- means opposite. What an idea. One thing about being deliberate is that you're focused, having on undeterrable path. Of your own infliction you are without liberty.

To God be all glory.

No comments: