Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Like Emma

As a Jane Austen fan, I am unashamed to admit that the first film adaptation of her books I ever watched was Emma when I was a freshman in high school. The images and moments were memorable. "Badly done," said the man who began the movie as what?!-this-guy-is-the-hero? and ends as the most attractive, bearable, sweet guy. All my friends agree he's their favorite character in the movie. I mean, he's almost perfect.

Each time my brothers (in training to be good men) pass while I'm watching Emma, I catch them for a few minutes. "See, see here, that girl, Emma?" I ask. "How silly she is? Girls are really like that." Girls will imagine themselves in love when they're not; insist they're not thinking of someone when they thought of them all day; and match-make. To some degree or another, this is true. We will also crash and call ourselves fools when reality sets in.

After further thought, I conclude that all people are also like Emma. We make assumptions and interperet everything that happens according to that perspective. In Emma she assumes Harriet will marry Mr. Elton and then sees his clapping, his riddles, his services and attentions all as proof of his predicted affections. But an objective observer (translate: those relieved by previous viewing of the movie of the misconception that everything the heroine does is right) sees that Mr. Elton is hinting at his attempt at winning Emma's favor.

My brother insists that all people are like Darth Vader, too. Do with that what you will.

To God be all glory.

No comments: