Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The "All Authority" Clause

And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Matthew 28:18-20

One of my biggest hang-ups with evangelism is when I face authority conflicts. If I'm at work, is it ok to use my boss's time to share the gospel? Am I allowed to share the gospel with kids if I think their parents would disapprove? What about a Muslim woman? Her husband, if he found out, might be furious. Why would she listen at such risk? Why do I dare usurp authority like that?

But the authority isn't mine. All authority is the risen Jesus'. And He sent me as His ambassador, so I can go confidently with His proclamation. After all, this is a matter of life and death.

In the end, the authority issue is an excuse, and a bad one directly addressed in the Great Commission. So pray for me, as Paul requested:

"And for me, that utterance may be given unto me,
that I may open my mouth boldly,
to make known the mystery of the gospel"
- Ephesians 6:19

To God be all glory.

No comments: