Sunday, September 09, 2007

George MacDonald

I believe most of George MacDonald's books are public domain, and you can read many here. I have a fascination with fairy tales, especially those which Disney did not adapt, or of which no one has heard. George MacDonald wrote such, among other things. He is a kindred spirit, I think, because whatever he wrote was very thoughtful, as though he were answering some deep question about life and God and relationships. His books influenced both CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien very deeply, so I am glad to have discovered him myself.

The Light Princess is the story I just read, a short fifteen chapters. I enjoyed the story, and feel as though it were a picture book though there were no pictures.

I have also read At the Back of the North Wind, a much longer story about a little boy named Diamond who is an example to anyone.

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

I have never heard of him, actually....

Lisa of Longbourn said...

He wrote a lot of novels, so if you're not into fiction (usually containt romance, but North Wind didn't much), you wouldn't like the books too much. However, I hear he published works on Christianity, and was a preacher from Scotland. A lot of people quoted him and I never noticed until I knew who he was. He's quoted in a journal someone bought for me!
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn