Thursday, September 27, 2007

What Do You Seek?


John 1:38 records Jesus' question to two disciples of John the Baptist who were following Him. "What seek ye?" He asked. What if He asked you or me?


Philippians 2:21, "For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's."


There are days when the weight of the Church's need seems to crush me. I think that now, in the modern times, we have it really bad. Families leave church meetings to get to sports games on time. Friends are too busy to do Bible studies together. Parents are burnt out, and don't want to take care of their own kids, let alone do children's ministry.


If Paul had the same dilemas, though, this can't be a modern phenomenon. There have always been distractions. Throughout the history of the church, there have been more people seeking their own than those who are sold out to Christ Jesus. I mean with abandonment, like Paul, like Timothy, like Peter, who "left all, and followed" Jesus.


And I think, there is no one likeminded. Philippians 2:20, "For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state." Then I wonder, just what kind of mind do I want others to be like? Mine?


Philippians 2:5, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:"


Is my mind like Christ Jesus'? Am I seeking the things which are His, seeking first the kingdom and His righteousness? Do I look out for the interests of others? Is my faith all-encompassing? Not "would I" leave everything, but "have I" left everything?


What of my own do I seek, then? I seek rest, books, entertainment, beautiful things and clothes, movies, music, friends, answers, money, a husband, forum, comfort, chocolate. Self gratification. To weigh the time spent pursuing or thinking about these things over the things of heaven!


Colossians 3:2, "Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."


What are the things above that I seek? To know Christ, to love Him. His will for my life. Preparation for fulfilling His will for my future. That utterance may be given to me to open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel. The gospel to go to the Middle East and the Middle Class. The restoration of the Church. The edification of my friends.


1 Timothy 4:12, "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."


2 Timothy 2:2, "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also."


2 Timothy 2:21, "If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work."


Romans 12:1-2, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."


To God be all glory.

No comments: