Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Perfect Jeans

It's confession time. I own the perfect pair of jeans. The search was long, but about one and a half years ago, there they were. Off the Kohl's rack I paid full sale price for a pair of jeans that is the right color. They fit at the natural waist. I don't even need a belt. The jeans are so long that if I'm not wearing shoes - and, ok, sometimes when I am - I can step on them. There are pockets. The legs flare a bit. Made by Lee (instead of Levi, which had always been my idea of the perfect jean company), this is the pair for me.

So yes, I do wear jeans sometimes. I love skirts, and wear them almost all the time. They make a statement. They're fun. They're feminine. But here's my take on the "issue." The Old Testament laws about dress are fulfilled by Christ's death and resurrection. The Bible doesn't specify pants or skirts (most people in history wore very similar robes). So it's a matter of what I feel like, how different from the world I want to be, and what statement I want to make. Today I'm making a statement for following dress code rules at the Awana program where I serve.

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

kalipay said...

so you have to wear jeans to AWANA? be careful of that "a matter of what i feel like"! it's a dangerous statement if not categorized.

Lisa of Longbourn said...

The dress code at Awana asks the kids to wear long pants for game time, and I want to set a good example.

Thanks for pointing out the need to categorize "what I feel like." I would never wear something immodest or that I recognize to be wrong.

This post has two points: one, I'm not a legalist about pants vs. skirts. Two, I am glad to have the jeans I own.

If my dad or husband or the rules of an event ever stipulated, I would gladly give up the jeans, even permanently.

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn