Sunday, March 11, 2007

Good Life

In my life I've made several decisions based on idealism, activism, and faith. This leaves my life a little unique. As I told a friend this summer, as long as I can afford to make stands on principle, I will. The world will never change if people who could make a difference didn't bother because it was only temporary. Besides, one might discover that you can do things - forever - differently than society would teach.

My parents loved an old British comedy called The Good Life or Good Neighbors (depending on the season or the country in which its on television) when they were first married. In fact, when they got a VCR, they taped them off TV. Now they're on DVD (the old VHS now being of less than high quality), and I am watching them courtesy of my local library. The plot is that a couple in suburban England decides to be free (quit the corporate world) and become self-sufficient. They decide to do the sufficiency experiment in their own house and yard, to the surprise and humorous objections of their neighbors. Growing vegetables and raising chickens and goats, making their own butter, and even their own gas for their homemade gas-powered generator have their bumps. However, the spirit - the true flaws pointed out in the Western civilization corporate world - is very inspiring.

There may be other ways to become self-sufficient to lesser degrees than by keeping goats. Some modern families really are doing as much as they can to leave behind the additives, preservatives, secularized work week, and luxuries (like a massive clothing allowance). They learn to live frugally, to do most things for themselves, to work hard. Whether you have a vegetable garden or not, what a challenge to the rest of us!

From myself and my experience I want to admonish you to question your assumptions about what you must do with your life. A practical example is that wives can keep a home instead of working outside it, the income of one can support a family, and it can be a good, fulfilling thing to do. Another area in which there can be many questions is the educational system from preschool through college, and if you're at the point of graduate school already, even there. I'm not saying everyone should abandon these things or take up these principles: only that you might consider the why's and other options.

To God be all glory.

Disclaimer: There is some crass humor and immodesty fairly typical of British comedies, so I'm not necessarily recommending the show.

No comments: