Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ready for Summer?

"Are you ready for summer?" a woman asked me yesterday. When I think of summer I see picnics, games, free time, reading by an open window, and swimming pools. In my most idealistic moments I see C.S. Lewis' descriptions of Narnia in summer, filled with laughter and evening dances in woodland glades. Grapes hang from vines all around. Leaves are large and green. Grass is bright and soft. There are gentle, rainy thunderstorms.

"I love spring," I answered. "I want to see it blossom and bloom before summer comes." Spring. Oh, the memories I have. I have watched spring unfold in Chicago. Driving slowly by the roadside vegetation, you see the tiny buds of flowers and sprouts of young green covering every branch. Here in Colorado in early spring you can witness the fruit trees laden with blossoms. For a short week, the world is a visual paradise. Can I describe the thrill at seeing the first spring flowers, usually the bulb varieties like Iris and Daffodil, showing their singing faces?

Yes, there must be the time of enjoying the bloom before you trample the gifts of yesterday in the reckless joy of a carefree summer.

To God be all glory.

No comments: