Monday, March 26, 2007

Vote by Conscience

I think I've written about this topic before. This is in a different light, however. To understand what I mean, go to the link, read, and come back.




Hugh Hewitt, who is on during evening drive time in my city as a radio talk show host, claims to be a Christian. He supports Youth for Christ and discourages the ACLU's propaganda that tries to keep any mention of God out of the public.

He also says Mormons will be in heaven. So maybe his opinion, that Mitt Romney is perfectly acceptable as a candidate for president, can be understood. In fact, Mr. Hewitt wrote an entire book on the subject, entitled A Mormon in the White House?

On his radio show, I have frequently heard Hugh Hewitt describe his argument: To ask former Governor Romney about his religious faith is inappropriate. Then no matter what the religion, the anti-religion crowd will be emboldened to discriminate against people of faith. To consider him inelligible for office because of his religion is bigotry. The offense would be the same as refusing to vote for Senator Obama because he is black.

Or Senator Clinton because she is female. (Side note: suppose I read the Bible and find out God created men to be the leaders, and thus consider Hillary ineligible, in the first case, because of her gender? I think a man is more suited for the office of President and Commander-in-Chief, because God created men and women differently.)

My first rebuttal is that Barack Obama did not decide to be black, nor did Hillary decide to be female. There is nothing untrue about their identities. However, though he may have been born into a Mormon family, Mitt Romney's faith is his choice, and his faith is in lies.

Which leads to my second rebuttal: If I find it disconcerting that a candidate for president has no more discretion and wisdom than to devote his life to the following of heresies, don't I have the right to vote against him for president? If I have learned that before I was saved, I was an enemy of God, isn't it ok to see other unsaved people, whatever their level of spirituality, as my enemies in a sense? If I as a Christian wish to vote for someone who shares my faith in an Almighty God and a passion for following His Word even when it doesn't make sense or isn't popular, haven't I that right?

One thing I would never advise is for a law to be made, or the Constitution to be amended to require a profession of Protestant faith as a prerequisite for candidacy in this country. I do not advocate slandering and tearing a candidate down, deriding him for his religion. Every man who meets the qualifications already described in the Constitution for President may run for the office. Then let the people decide.

However, for someone to call me bigoted for voting according to my own religious conscience for good, intellectual reasons founded on my knowledge of the candidate's religion - that is interfering in my rights, distorting the flow of democracy, and making me mad.

Here is my challenge to you. Examine candidates. Examine them against the Bible. Look at their record, including the way they have treated personal friends and family. Look at how they handle money. These things will affect the way in which they run your government. Then vote by your conscience. Do all that you can to ensure that your representatives and leaders represent you.

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

kalipay said...

do you know of any other candidates besides those three?!

Lisa of Longbourn said...

I definitely know of other candidates; those are the only three Hugh Hewitt mentioned in his article.

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn