Friday, March 23, 2007

One Man

I'm pondering... Does the proverb, "Pride cometh before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall," apply only to individuals, or to groups as well. In America, I wonder if our pride, our insistence on being right, 'my way or the highway,' is leading to our destruction. If nothing can be accomplished in congress except tearing down or corrupting the other branches of government, and our defense is left unfunded, and all of our multitudinous taxes go to inefficient and unnecessary causes, America will be weak indeed. I cannot imagine such a country withstanding destruction.

Is there hope? Does one vote really count? Can one person make a difference? I just rewatched One Night with the King and noticed Mordechai's defense when asked whether he thought his presence in the palace would prevent the king from annihilating the his people if the king so decided. "Probably not," Mordechai admits. And anyone who knows the story anticipates the irony. Doug Phillips offered an interesting perspective at a conference I attended this summer: The world has never been changed by a majority.

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

The Warrior said...

"History has never been dominated by majorities, but by dedicated minorities who stand unconditionally on their faith."
--Rousas John Rushdoony

Anonymous said...

That is a cool quote, Dr. paleo
I also think of God willing to spare Sodom for the life of ten righteous people.
And God's mercies are new every morning. I think He is much more willing to bring revival than destruction.