Thursday, November 09, 2006

Joseph: The Man God Intended

In light of many events this past week, Joseph has been on my mind. Let me refresh your memories.

Joseph was the son of Jacob, the envy of his brothers. They maliciously sold him as a slave to Egyptians, and left his father assuming he was dead. Never did they intend to see him again.

A famine came many years later to both Israel/Canaan and to Egypt. The brothers were sent by Jacob to Egypt, where they heard there was food stored. Through a series of touching events, the brothers were reunited with Joseph, now acting as prime minister to Pharaoh, and the instigator of the food rationing program that would save not only Egypt, but the life of his family.

After Jacob's death, the brothers feared Joseph would take revenge on them. He answered,

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

So, in all the political and spiritual turmoil attacking our land, I have taken peace remembering that what men intend for evil, God means for good.

Romans 8:28 ~ And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

I also noted that Joseph did menial things wherever he was, not knowing how God's plan would work out. He didn't demand an explanation of God. Wherever Joseph was, he was all there, serving his God. Joseph fulfilled the requirements of Romans 8. He loved God, and was called according to His purpose, even as a slave, and even in prison. Praise God our callings are not so discouraging!

My preference for life is that mine not be normal. I don't want to be someone that you can know for a few years and forget. My prayer is that I would bless and impact people, that life would be an adventure, and that I would be a part of "big" things. Like Eowyn, I fear the walls of my life would close in about me, to trammell me. So I take heart that those men in the Bible who would eventually participate in God's deliverance of His people: Joseph, Moses, and David, for example, started late, and were busy with daily chores until God's time for them came. Those times of servanthood were even training for them to be great leaders. Moses is remembered as the meekest man that ever lived, and David, of course, was recognized as the man after God's own heart. Life is heart therapy.

To God be all glory.

No comments: