Friday, November 10, 2006

Love by the Movies

If you believe the movies, and I don't recommend that you do, you may have noticed that most people can fall in love if they are trying. Even if they're only trying to give the impression of falling in love, they end up suffering from romance anyway.

Though I advise you not to base your view of reality on the movies, to some extent I do. So I'm left wondering what is wrong with all the good Christian men in the world who don't buckle down, accept responsiblity, and choose a girl with whom to fall in love. Allow me to quote a movie, Wives and Daughters. Father: "I don't see why you don't put up for her still. Don't you think you could like her if you tried?" Son: "No need for trying to love her, that's already done." Father: "...Tell her you love her, and if she won't have you now, then wait a while and ask her again. And don't give up trying until you've made her safe."

Love is a choice, right? That's the mature, reformed view of things? In my opinion there is nothing more romantic than two people trying to fall in love, even if they're already married trying to keep falling in love. There are shows in which two characters try not to fall in love, and that can be entertaining, but I stand by my statement. Trying to be in love is better. Maybe that's why God made marriage, and not just the temporary relationships caused by the dating mentality.

If love is a choice, though, it is also something which we can choose not to do. This means we are not the slaves of emotions. Teenagers need this message. If your feelings are controllable, you are able to wait and to save them for God's timing. I rest in that.

To God be all glory.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

Ah, I remember that part...that's when he's grafting the plant, right? "I understand a good deal more than you think I understand!"

(Okay, sorry, I have a sister you know. :-D)

And your last words remind me of the lyrics in the Wait For Me song, "Keep your loving eyes only for me."