Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Vegetables

Studies keep coming forth that sing the praises of vegetables. Nutritionists tell you how much of which kinds of vegetables to eat. Major news media informs you of recalls on certain vegetables so you won't get sick. The juicers and juice-makers go crazy with the latest vitamin and anti-oxidant crammed drink. Cartoons and Spiderman movies also remind children of the incredible results of consuming a balanced diet (not one third soda, one third pizza, and the final third chocolate, which would be my idea of a gourmet meal).

All along, moms have been telling kids to eat their vegetables. Before all these studies were able to isolate the vitamins and properties that make you strong and healthy, mothers knew. Before thousands of people participated in university-sponsored studies, already there was the family ritual of moms watching at least a few token bites of green beans into the mouths of their little ones.

How do they know? Come on! Who ever met someone who really ate their vegetables?

Ok, I take it back. My life has yielded friends who diligently ordered salads instead of burgers, who know how to cook other green plants and squash and all that. Can you really tell whether they're healthier, though? The real life modern men who look like Popeye eat a lot of red meats and energy drinks, not spinach.

How did I ever decide to write about vegetables? No, my mom did not force her adult daughter to eat the token green beans (though those are edible). I was thinking about my health, wondering why I don't feel and look as vibrant as I have in the past. The theoretical conclusion is that I haven't been eating my vegetables. See, women just know; it must be intuition.

To God be all glory.

3 comments:

The Warrior said...

Well, good for you! I am a big health nut, so if you're ever discouraged, think of what I always say: "What's taste next to health?"

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Hey, taste is important, and I only recognized the problem. Application, just like Scripture, is an entirely other matter.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

Ha ha...that's funny.