Tuesday, May 15, 2007

An Applebee's Chocolate Shake

Once upon a time several years ago, I attended an Awana event known variously as Summit, Varsity USA, VUSA, or my favorite, "Chicago." After days of little sleep and lots of stress-laden activity, we were up late for an evening ceremony. Dinner, then, was a nighttime affair, so we headed for Applebee's. Friends, tired laughter, lots of presently popular inside jokes, and a good meal made for great memories. To top off the meal and to splurge on a vacation (that's what you're supposed to do, right?) I bought a chocolate shake to finish my meal. Though I am not a paid endorser, I will tell you Applebees has the best chocolate shakes in the world. The taste is treasured and hallowed in my memory, not to be reengaged except on special occasions. One such was again at the end of the Summit trip this year, when I counseled all of the students at my table to partake of this delight.

Another occasion was yesterday, when we ate at Applebee's for Mother's Day. One bite encapsulated a memory. Another bite and all the memories molded into one happy expression flooded me. Friends, laughter, struggling and conquering, the ecstasy of a well-earned desert at the end of a long day. All in a shake.

All too soon the shake was gone. The memories flitted away, but that's ok. Sometimes the memories are too powerful, too much to handle all at once. They are rich, like the chocolate shake. "But of some delights, I believe sir, a little goes a long way."

To God be all glory.

No comments: