Saturday, May 05, 2007

Duty

While on the topic of duty, I want to share some verses that describe what we ought to do. Note the references in them to the other characteristics with which I claim duty is associated. I am happy to find that there is some support for my theory in the Bible.

Luke 17:10, "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

John 13:14, "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet."

Romans 15:1, "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves."

2 Corinthians 12:14, "Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children."

Ephesians 5:28, "So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself."

1 John 2:6, "He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."

1 John 3:16, "Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren."

3 John 1:5-8, "Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well: Because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles. We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth."

In these verses, the word "ought" is the same as "duty" in Luke 17. It is the Greek opheilo meaning: to owe, that which is due.

"Due" is the root of "duty."

To God be all glory.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Such beautiful words concerning many subjects, including that of duty, are contained within the covers of the Bible.

It is such a shame that, in my experience as Christian turned gnostic, I have yet to see a follower of my old religion rise to his or her duty, as required by Jesus.

On another note, I will just say that the word "duty" has conotations of force and obedience. While I think this is true, it is only one side of the coin. True duty is one of the offspring of true love, as we seek to live up to the responsibility of our love.

Nice blog you have here. I hope the other Bennett sisters are not unnerving you. ;-)

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Thank you, trefor!

I want to be sure that, while I believe duty is admonished in the Bible, I make it clear that fulfillment of duty does not earn God's grace or salvation. As you said, it is the offspring of love.

At 4:30 in the morning I little expected a comment. (I see now that you reside in the United Kingdom, so the time is not so crazy there.) Perhaps the early hour here prevents me from understanding the reference to Bennett sisters. Could you enlighten me?

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn