Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Site Meter

I've been blogging for over a year. I have just over 200 comments, and my best bet has me posting half of those. I'm grateful for the (approximately 20) readers who have blessed me with comments. This post is starting to worry me. I'm not letting the rest of you off the hook by what I'm about to say.

I've found a way to know you're there and reading even when you sadly leave without commenting. Sitemeter. I've had a counter for a long time, but it barely told me how many visitors I had, because it counted every time I looked at the blog, and I don't just check my blog for vanity; it is a publishing check. Anyway, I saw Sitemeter on another blog and signed up, for free to get more detailed reports the kind Crystal always mentions when she asks us to de-lurk.

Now I know what she means, though. There are some of you in Europe, Australia, Florida, California, and Canada. And you are reading, which makes me happy. For a while I thought there was no one, and that all these posts were going unread. Please, though, if you think of anything while reading, post a comment, even if its in German. Actually, I have quite a few books on learning German within two steps of my computer, so whoever was visiting here from Germany, have no fear!

Don't forget the last few blog posts, that this blogger would love to have a dialogue with her readers. I can grandstand, but I would rather discuss.

To God be all glory.

5 comments:

Robert said...

Though I haven't commented much I do read your posts.You have given me some things to think about.

I do have a question to ask.While looking through your archives I read a post about Persuasion.You mentioned that it has one of the worst film adaptations.I haven't read the book but I have seen(and own) the 1995 film.I enjoyed it and was wondering what you didn't like about it.Thanks.

Lisa of Longbourn said...

I read Persuasion before I saw the movie, and was supremely disappointed. Jane Austen's stories are all about dialogue, and the movie left way too much out. Perhaps other adaptations of Jane Austen's books to the screen have spoiled me. Whereas I couldn't put the book down and was caught up in the heart-wrenching story of Anne Elliot, the movie felt flat.

The hero in the movie is not very handsome, either. Call me American, but I like that in a movie. Ciaran reminds me of Matthew MacFayden's portrayal of Darcy, and Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon: too dark and melancholy for me.

You should read the book.

It would appear that you like that version, wouldn't it? When that is your profile picture? What did you like about it?
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

When I read, I comment. :-P

P.S. I can be dark and melancholy, myself actually. ;-D

Lisa of Longbourn said...

I know you comment, Dr. Paleo, and thank you. Dark doesn't seem to describe the blogger you. I think I meant grim, somber, not smiling, using a quiet, deep, sad voice. Is that you?

Think about it. You see the men I listed in their respective movies smile one time, at the end, and the rest they look - not thoughtful or important or serious, but depressed. And that might have been the feel they were trying to give their characters, but that isn't what I read in Jane Austen.

I do remember a depressed character in Persuasion, but it was not Captain Wentworth. It was Captain Benwick, who even then was not so very dreary.

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Robert said...

I can understand what you mean.The first Jane Austen movie I saw was the 2005 Pride and Prejudice.I didn't know much about her at the time.It wasn't until I saw the 1995 version that I realized how much of the story and dialogue was missing.Persuasion could use the length of a Wives and Daughters or P&P(1995).

I've read another blogger who liked the movie but didn't care who the actor who played Wentworth.It can be hard to enjoy a movie when you don't like the hero/heroine.

A saw a quote once that said "Don't judge a book by it's movie".

I'd like to read the book.

The picture I used goes back to when I got my profile.It was one of the earlier Austen films I watched.I was interested in the story about Anne meeting up with her former suitor and seeing if she would be able to win him back.I also like the era of the film.It was also interesting when Wentworth writes that a man too can keep loving after hope is gone.

I still enjoy the movie,though I prefer the other Austen movies I have watched since persuasion.