Monday, October 01, 2007

G.K. Chesterton



He's a genius for expression. From the website linked above, he wrote unparalelled "good essays - all of them – as funny as they are serious, and as readable and rewarding a century after you’ve written them." He wrote a series of mysteries about a man named Father Brown. Similar to CS Lewis in his philosophical insight into the future, and analyzations of reason and politics and social trends, G.K. Chesterton added to his appeal by writing with almost melodic rhythm. He was also, as you might expect, a poet.

All my favorite authors were also something else. They didn't just sit around writing books. They were missionaries, or serious students of literature, words, history, or theology. You can't get good books if that's all you do. You need interaction with the real world to make your thoughts relevant. I fear this was Shakespeare's lack.

The one thing I don't understand is how he could so dislike protestants. Gilbert Keith Chesterton was a staunch Catholic, whose book, Orthodoxy, included almost entirely doctrines that were common ground between Catholics and Protestants. I believe he was saved, based on what I read of his theology. C.S. Lewis was saved as a result of Chesterton's writing.

Chesterton was a historian and biographer as well. What's more, he was human. He laughed, and interacted, missed trains, smoked cigars. He wore glasses. Instead of college he went to art school. Is there a better manifestation of someone who lived life to the hilt?

Look into his writings. Use the link above. It has quotes, selections, and biographies. Use your library. If you find a book by Chesterton for sale, buy it. You won't regret the purchase.

To God be all glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it so far. I am curious as to why you think Chesterton disliked Protestants. I never had that impression, but I haven't read a lot of his works yet. Is it something he wrote about Protestants? Thank you for your beautiful blogging. I've been spending entirely too much time on your blog this morning. :)God bless you!

Maria

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Maria!
Thanks for visiting my blog, and commenting while you're here!

Chesterton wrote strongly against protestantism in Orthodoxy. We seem to annoy him, and to have personally offended him. I don't get it. But like I said, it's hard to believe, and easy to get past when you read his works.
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your prompt response to my question! I will re-read Orthodoxy sometime soon. I read it a number of years ago, was too young to understand much of it, and often don't retain what I read. Thank you again for your answer!

God bless you,
Maria