Monday, September 25, 2006

Conservative Talk Radio

My news comes from two sources: the Internet and talk radio. For Christian news like the latest Vision Forum conference, book release, or any articles published about education or biblical womanhood, the net (especially blogs) are a consistent and reliable resource. For the political and national security type news, talk radio keeps me up to date. I catch snippets here and there just as I fall asleep (mesmerizing voices) or as I drive (not so mesmerizing, you hope). Between the different moments I get to catch the news, my spectrum of programming exposure is pretty wide.

I keep mentioning different shows on which I heard a comment or a view. So I decided to provide you with the names of the hosts to which I listen (or don't) and what my opinion of them each is. They are different, with different perspectives, degrees of accurate theology, a spectrum of priorities, and simply different styles.

Laura Ingram is a tough woman. She gave up practicing law to make fun of political and entertainment figures. She is so outspoken that her listeners are either praised for agreeing with her or derided for disagreeing. It's immature sometimes, but upbeat. She has a true heart for soldiers. In my opinion her crew is unbeatable. They can pull out the shortest or most entertaining sound clip at a moment's notice.

Dennis Prager is a converted Democrat who failed to leave behind all the liberal tenets of being one. He is selfish and encourages selfishness in others, especially through his Happiness Hour once a week. Philosophy and interviews are his big thing. He likes abstracts like evil, but not the Devil. Clarity is the object of his show. He adores his doting audience. Each show is a search for knowledge and answers. At the least he is a good listener.

Sean Hannity is like a big brother to his audience. He works to know what he knows and to form well-reasoned opinions. He laughs and teaches, but he also corrects. God is a real part of his life and worldview. Patriotism is high on his list of priorities. He is a conservative for truth and justice, not just a Republican for victory.

Hugh Hewitt is a stuck up lawyer. Though claiming Christianity, he is a hypocrite. Rather than hold out for principle, he advocates taking the best visible choice. A high point of his show is the upper-level education in subjects ranging from precedents to history and literature.

Mark Davis is a relatively mellow man with good opinions, but I don't know what he's like because the time at which he is programmed on my local station is 10 PM-12 AM, at which times I am usually otherwise engaged.

Michael Reagan has been in the business so long that he is very comfortable with his audience. But, being the son of a public figure, he is skilled at keeping his distance. His show is about common sense from economics to politics to defense to education.

Michael Medved can be loud-mouthed and close-midned. He has a generous view of the U.S. and a useful understanding of Judaism and Israel. Watching so many movies, he has become good at recognizing political insinuations, but the moral and philosophical messages do not get filtered. He has, therefore, become a crtiic, seeing all things from too professional a standpoint.

Mark Taylor fills in for almost everyone else. He is a Christian, unafraid to argue (and repeat) until his point is driven home. He is humble and listens. His tone is sincere. However, he is a staunch Republican, and would rather help a "Republican" (even in name only) win than to vote according to conscience.

Janet Parshall is the grandmotherly type (or at least the grandmother stage of the hard-hitting conservative communicator). She's been married for a long time, and she loves, respects and submits to her husband, who is usually involved in her show. Her concern is for the children and families as well as the serious and political topics. Sometimes she runs creative segments such as interviews with Larry from Veggie Tales.

To God be all glory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I loved your assessment of the radio talk show hosts. I think you hit the nail on the head! :)

Good job!

Stacy

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Stacy,
Thanks for visiting... and for commenting. It's nice to know that real people are reading my blog!
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

Yes, a good summary. I've only heard of Sean Hannity, I think (of Hannity and Colmes, correct)?

I'm not really a radio listener but could if I liked it. The ICR has a radio program ever Saturday at like 1:00 or 1:30 P.M.

Aaron said...

My top faves are Laura Ingram and Rush Limbaugh. Rush is completely pompous and full of himself, but he manages to be so in an amusing way, and he is incredibly intelligent so his political analysis is fascinating to me. I don't feel that it is a woman's place to shrilly shriek about politics on the radio to a mixed-gender audience, but somehow I can't help but love listening to Ingram in spite of myself! :o) I cannot stomach Prager...SO arrogant!