Saturday, September 09, 2006

Sigh

When I was in elementary school, I loved to read the Boxcar Children mysteries. I devoured them. Each scholastic catalog would offer another book, and I acquired quite a collection. After I finished the final chapters came a deep sigh. All the mysteries happen to them.

The Lord of the Rings is my favorite book. I have to say "The Lord of the Rings" because I can't choose between the books. The Fellowship of the Ring is moving and exciting. There is the Knife in the Dark, and Moria, and all sorts of history and humor. But the Two Towers is cool because there is the battle at Helms Deep and meeting Faramir. The Return of the King. Ahh. Horns and battles. A woman in disguise, rescued from the brink of death to find love. An incredible love story. Eowyn is my favorite character. I would finish Mount Doom and sigh. They just don't make adventure like they used to.

And now I read Amy's Humble Musings, and laugh 'til my sides hurt. I tell all my friends of Amy's exploits. And while I enjoy her musings on everyday life, I sigh. All the funny things happen to her.

Don't get me wrong. I laugh at myself a lot. But I have an overactive sense of humor, and you all would probably be bored to know that I opened the cupboard door and then tripped over it the other day. I laughed. I made a fool of myself. The retelling loses something.

However, I am currently laughing. Not at what I'm writing (I'm multitasking). My family is discussing logic and recollection and quotation. See, Mom says she heard my brother say something that now he says he didn't say. So we're trying to figure out how Mom got what she got from what she said. My other brother is analyzing it according to the logic class he's taking in college now. Brother one is losing, logically speaking. We keep making logical conclusions and he says "No. No. It's like..." and then he uses some very clever metaphor. My favorite today: "It's like throwing me a wadded up piece of paper and expecting a flat one back. Your question was too confusing." (Mom was complaining he didn't answer her questions coherently.)

So maybe you're not laughing. So why are you reading if you want to laugh? Go read Amy.

To God be all glory.

No comments: