Friday, September 22, 2006

Is Balance Good?

I really liked this post by a guest blogger at YLCF. It is about balance. Everyone talks about how life should be balanced. In the Christian life there are some things that ought to be very out of balance.

Being "open-minded" is similar. In some things open-mindedness is good. I should never assume that just because I thought of it, it is true, or that my plan is the only plan that will work and that should be used. However, on issues of truth as revealed by God in the Bible, I need to be close-minded. The truth is that in no other name than Jesus is there salvation. My mind need not be open to the possibilities of Buddhism, atheism, Hinduism, Mormonism, Islam, or any other religion. That is like being open to the possibility that my name is not Lisa. I know that it is.

Tolerance is a hot-button issue that falls in the same category. We have to be tolerant. I can't run around screaming at everyone who disagrees at me. I need to patiently tolerate differences of opinion on non-essential issues. It's all about doing whatever I do for the good of the other. Also read this article about "tolerance" in public schools by Ann Coulter.

A lot of my life is spent walking a fine line. Of course one could argue that the center of God's will is as large as a headpin to a host of angels.

To God be all glory.

No comments: