Saturday, September 09, 2006

On Names and Titles

Do you know why I call this blog Lady of Longbourn? The lady part, I hope, is obvious. Longbourn is the home of the Bennets in Pride and Prejudice. In the good old (rich) days, houses had names. Only, I don't understand. Names don't cost anything, so why don't we have them any more, even if we're not as well-to-do?

I love Pride and Prejudice. The five sisters run around dancing, debating, visiting, traveling, sewing, arranging flowers... It's lovely. If my life were like that, I don't think I'd complain much. In an effort to make my life more like that, I am trying to start a home business. Home sewing and beautifying.

After going through a few ideas for creatively communicating the image of women working at home: Cottage Industries, and stuff like that, I arrived at Lady of Longbourn. Like Elizabeth. I'm at home, carefully crafting useful and beautiful objects. And I'm blogging about things like literature and pride and prejudice and romance and Victorian things. It's fun. I hope you like it. And I hope some Austen fanatics will search for Longbourn, find my site, and decide to stay even if I'm not increasing their trivial knowledge of all things Austen. I can't even give you a floorplan of the house used in the (A&E/BBC) Pride and Prejudice for Longbourn - though I have looked. I cannot tell you why Jane Austen spelled Longbourn without an 'e' on the end. I would have. I like e's.

To God be all glory.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I s'pose our founders left the house-naming business behind in England...a pity it is! The BBC's Pride and Prejudice is the BEST movie EVER made!!!