Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Love Nerve

A Happy Female Holds up Her Diamond Engagement Ring by Joel Sartore
A Happy Female Holds up Her Diamond Engagement Ring


Last week in Awana we learned a trivial fact: Romans began the custom of putting a wedding or engagement ring on the third finger of the left hand because they believed a nerve went from there to the heart. I'm not sure about nerves leading to the heart, but they definitely go up the arm like they said. I discovered this on Friday night when I smashed the third finger of my right hand in the door from the garage to the house. Actually that should be passive. My finger was doing nothing, minding its own business, when the cruel spring-loaded door swung back to attack it. The point is, I got shooting pains running from the tip of that finger up my arm towards my heart. Except it never made it to my heart. The pain was horrible, and googling treatment for smashed fingers was almost torture, even without images, because of all the traumatic household injuries described on the websites. I'm told Tea Tree Oil relieves the pain right away, but I didn't have any. Walmart didn't have any on shelf today either, so I may never know.

To God be all glory.

1 comment:

The Warrior said...

I don't know about a love nerve, but one time I had a similar experience as you did.

What happened was, I accidentally slammed my elbow downwards onto the edge of my bed; intense pain followed. It hurt so bad, it literally felt like someone poured a caustic chemical on me because it felt like it was burning. The interesting thing was, was that only half of my forearm felt this way; my ring finger, and my little finger, and the rest of my arm downwards, as if it was cut in a perfect line. The other half of my arm felt fine. This was an interesting lesson in nerves, at least for me. ;-D

(I do hope you're okay though?)

Spencer