Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Changing Church Part II


“First, I want to ask all of those with children in nurseries and children’s church to go get them. We won’t mind if they make a little noise. And if the last child leaves, please let the teachers know they can come in as well.”

At first parents just looked at each other. Was he serious? One by one the boldest (or most curious) got up to retrieve their kids. Anne looked up. The first major step had been taken. She looked over her shoulder to see how the deacons were reacting. One was reassuring his wife on her way to get their kids. “Apparently this was planned,” he seemed to tell her. “No, no one told him.”

Once everyone was settled back in the sanctuary, the pastor made another request. “Any of you youth,” he gestured at a row of middle and high school students near the back, “go ahead and sit with your families, if they’re here.”

Then he began in earnest. His congregation watched in rapt attention, waiting for what strange thing would be requested next. Anne smiled at the useless bulletin in her lap. The worship leader had given up on signaling that it was his turn. He sat back in his chair to watch.

To God be all glory.

See index for first and additional chapters.

3 comments:

The Warrior said...

Oh, come on! I've already bitten all my nails off! Have some pity on my unguals, which will likely come next!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope you don't mind me dropping in. I'm a friend of Dr. Paleo's, as I'm sure you've already seen on his blog. :-)

But, I just wanted to say how cool this story is. I stumbled upon it today and read both parts so far, and I like it. ^_^ I'm also in the process of writing a little series on my own blog, so I really appreciate this sort of thing.

Looking forward to more! :-D

The Warrior said...

Hey there, Nathan!

We hope you don't mind, Lady of Longbourn...but Nathan's a really good friend, and very kind too!