Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Characters in John

Maybe my last post was too long. This one will be short.

Sunday I did a quick scan of the Gospel of John. Of all the characters (or small groups of people) mentioned, an astounding majority were or became believers (believe also happens to be John's key word). I'll give you the numbers, and you can check for yourself. 25 characters followed Jesus by the time they died. Those who did not at first include Nicodemus and Jesus' brothers. 6 characters never did (including Judas Iscariot).

Additionally, the first 13 characters introduced were believers.

No wonder John is a more pleasant gospel for me to read. There are less enemies!

However, I do want to clarify. Throughout John there are enemies, but they are described in large, impersonal groups: "the Jews," etc.

To God be all glory.

No comments: