Sunday, October 22, 2006

Creativity

Michael Card wrote a book, Scribbling in the Sand, which teaches on creativity. The whole emphasis is that creativity is not some isolationist occurrence, but that ideas and art thrive in community. My experience has justified his thesis.

Tonight, for example, my brother mentioned how many students were in our youth pastor's office. "There should be a record for how many people you can get in a youth pastor's office, just like the Guinness Book of World Records and buses or phone booths."

"Yeah!" I added eloquently. Our youth group is rather small, however. So I started brainstorming on how to get enough people to make our record impressive. "Make it an outreach night! All the kids could tell their friends they're trying to set a record, and invite them to help."

You heard the idea here. If you want to use the brilliance, if I do say so myself, of this product of community, I'm officially sharing it. Oh, and my brother is committed to letting our youth pastor know. I don't think he reads my blog! Any great ideas you have, especially tagged to a "two-heads are better than one" story, would be welcome comments!

To God be all glory.

4 comments:

The Warrior said...

A record? Wow, that's pretty neat.

Although I do not believe in youth groups, I might add that I think it's good to have a small church!

Lisa of Longbourn said...

If I think too much about "believing" in youth groups and such, I go crazy. For now I believe God wants me attending church with my dad, so I'm at a church with a youth group. However, the idea could be used for any philosophy of church (even a house church). I say youth because it's hard to picture the elderly cramming themselves into an office for fun. Even in a family-oriented church, fun things can be attempted by the young. One thing in which I don't believe is a church without youth!
To God be all glory.

The Warrior said...

Wait...you've confused me!

You do or don't have a youth group? You do? That's what I thought.

Forgive my boldness yet again, but I would most highly recommend Vision Forum's tape/cd on "How Modern Churches are Hurting Families" or something like that.

Have a great day, and I love the posts!

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Dr. Paleo,
Again, I know the arguments. I SEE the effects of youth groups with my own eyes. The fact of the matter is that my church has a youth group. As a woman, I'm not in a place to put forward an objection. I believe God wants me attending this church because my dad does.

Since this is where God has me, I seek to be part of the "cure", an influence for change and growth. Sometimes it has to be subtle. I ask myself, "How does God want me to behave now, in the situations in which He has me?"

To God be all glory.