Friday, October 13, 2006

Learning Something New

You learn something new everyday, so I'm told. I am not sure I believe the statement. Everyone has days when all they do is veg - I mean, in proper English, relax.

Other times in life, you try something new every day. This is especially true at turning points in life, such as infancy, adolescence, being a newlywed... That's all of which I can think. Or new experiences can be grouped in a week-long vacation to a new environment, like a cruise.

In my case, my new experiences have no logical explanation. They have a friend to thank, but also the growing courage of becoming older. (In case you're wondering how that works, you have less life to lose if you die when you're older.) Let me tell you. In the past month I went on my first hayride, had my first pine cone fight (and you thought I was demure), tasted my first tea, enjoyed my first cup of tea (which is separate from the last point), bought my first tea, tried ramen noodles, learned to use chopsticks, taught an adult ladies Sunday school class...

Would you believe that the number one factor that prevented me from seriously considering missions when I was in high school was food? Not money, nor languages, nor bugs, nor homesickness. Food. I ate peaunut butter and jelly, Wendy's nuggets, hamburgers (ketchup and pickles only), and Pizza Hut cheese pizza (yes, the brand was important). All foreign foods were out of the question, including French, German, Italian, Mexican, Chinese... So now my tastes have matured. Just like I can tolerate hotter water than when I was a child, so I can now tolerate more flavors. In fact, I crave foods bursting with flavor (thus my bi-weekly need for Pepsi, and current newfound delight in vanilla spiced chai tea).

All this has me wondering... Is God trying to tell me something, prepare me?

I can rest assured in this: I'm pretty confident that God would not call me as a female to a mission field without my father or a husband (maybe a brother). Husband sounds like the most likely option, but he's not here yet, "to be announced," I tell people. So the thought that God could be preparing me for something that would require the man's presence, well, that's encouraging!

Of course I'm being silly. Life is so full now with ministries and learning and trying new things that I'm quite content with being a daughter and a servant at church. Sure, you may doubt me. Just because even learning to use chopsticks makes me think a proposal from some unknown knight is around the corner, doesn't mean I'm discontent. Honest!

I must say this is the most juvenile post yet. Forgive the parentheses, ellipses, and reference to the everpresent, rarely exposed thematic undercurrent of my writing. Have a good night... day... whatever.

Oh, I want to try this link thingy. But what to link? I'll try my last post. That sounds good. See if it works. I'm learning yet another new thing!

To God be all glory.

5 comments:

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Neat, the link worked! I've been wanting to do that, like with the "click here" post!
To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

Yeah, I use it all the time! And no it isn't silly. There's something...scary, I guess, about growing up and going it "alone."

And to be honest, I've done this over and over and over and over (well, you get the idea...:-P) to disprove it, but I can't. I really learn something new every day. (Of course reading a half-dozen books every day sure helps!)

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Dr. Paleo,
How do you ever read six books every day? Don't you do anything else? Oh, wait! You produce evidence of lego-building, web-surfing, thinking (which unfortunately must be noted in this day and age), and blogging yourself. So I'm officially jealous that you can read so quickly.
To God be all glory,
Lisaoflongbourn

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Now I have to add more new things:

Pedaled a "surrey" and
Requested a table at a restaurant.

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

Well, right now I'm so busy that I can't keep up, but it is not uncommon for me to read a few pages (1 chapter in Bible, 10 in this book, 1 in the dictionary, etc.) in five or six books. I keep VERY busy! And yes, I surf online (so fun), have school, and once-in-a-while, build in Legos! (But the reading usually doesn't happen in the same day as the building. ;-D)