Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My Anti-Feminist Creed

About ten years ago, I don't think there were any websites about biblical womanhood, or how to take a stand against feminism. However, besides the "Ms." thing, I think the evidence is in favor of a shift in culture. There are still women who want to be feminists. Desperate feminist leaders publish scathing articles saying that just because a woman is happier and more fulfilled raising children doesn't make her more successful. Ummm...

Articles are being published on the middle to upper class college-educated moms who are choosing to give up successful careers to stay at home with their kids. You can see them in the malls on any given day. Now there seem to be plenty of websites, with the rise of individuals blogging (and the stay-at-home moms with a mission and easy access to computers). So I'm reluctant to take on the task myself. I like pioneering new ground. Like Paul.

"Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel,
not where Christ was named,
lest I should build upon another man's foundation"
~ Romans 15:20

However, I would like to make the personal statement that it is a privilege to be living at home after high school. The culture that embraces the role of women in the home, valuing their contributions whether married or not, is a freeing culture for women. From a Christian point of view, toil against thorns is man's curse and pain in childbearing is women's. So why take both?

The last few years, even the ladies I have met who were pursuing careers and degrees had this heart for home. They would drop everything to stay at home with kids, and jump at the chance. The fields of work they were pursuing were feminine things like decorating, cooking, childcare, medicine. Some couldn't decide between the interests. I think that means they're women, created to thrive in the varied tasks of keeping a home.

I don't think this view is old-fashioned - not any more than eating healthy, natural foods is. Sure, that's what people used to do for centuries. But it's also a new thing. Our culture tried to change things up, eat all processed and fried foods, and we became unhealthy and obese. We tried to deny the difference between men and women, and our society reaped the consequences of divorce, high crime rates in minors, and a bunch of other stuff. Don't get me started. No, see Crystal's post if you really are curious. And now we're learning. Eat your greens. Prize the calling of motherhood.

Springing forward from our recovered values there is also a trend of valuing daughterhood. And fatherhood. I believe that 1 Peter 3:1-2 tells how women best impact the world, and gives an explanation for what we see happening.


"Likewise, ye wives,
be in subjection to your own husbands;
that, if any obey not the word,
they also may without the word
be won by the conversation of the wives;
While they behold your chaste conversation
coupled with fear."

That's the Bible. I didn't say it. It's not my fault. The principle is true, though. God probably knew what He was doing when He made His world this way and then invited women to keep the home. I like that.

Imagine what the world will be after ten more years moving past feminism!

To God be all glory.

5 comments:

The Warrior said...

Wow, that was good! I can't write worth beans...

The very best sentence was: "From a Christian point of view, toil against thorns is man's curse and pain in childbearing is women's. So why take both?" I never thought of it that way! Thanks!

"This blog entry was so very illuminating--an opinion in which I am joined by the right honorable Lady Catherine de Bourgh, to whom I have relate to whom I have related the contents of the post, in full!"

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Dr. Paleo, I know who Lady Catherine is in Pride and Prejudice, but I doubt the person to whom you refer is the same right honorable lady. Would you enlighten me on what you mean?

To God be all glory,
Lisa of Longbourn

The Warrior said...

I'm imitating Mr. Collins...I meant it as a joke...see? I'm sorry for the mix-up....

I'm wierd, I know. I did that because last night I learned that when I say "Cousin Elizabeth!" I sound like Mr. Collins (or so says my sister)!

She also says I sound like Bingley and Knightley, my two favorites!

Oh, and she's the fan, not me, in case you didn't notice. :-P

Lisa of Longbourn said...

Undercover Austen fans welcome here.
To God be all glory.

The Warrior said...

Hey! I'm not the fan...it's my sister! Really!

(You're not the first to call that into question....;-D)